Monday, March 8, 2010

Spring Flowery, Yarn-y, Cookie, Pretty Monday

Today was a gorgeous day in New York City, sunny, warm and very pink for me.  This week's flower arrangement is with ranunculus.  I've gotten a few bunches of ranunculus recently and I'm in love with them, but they're quite delicate so I'm hoping this bunch lasts through the week.
The stems are kind of wild actually, almost like parsley or celery, and there were a few stray unopened buds that I put in water too, maybe they'll bloom?  I tried the arrangement in a fishbowl first, but then went with just a simple upright vase as above.
It was a beautiful weekend and we walked around the city for a lot of it, feeling like bears coming out of hibernation.  We happened upon Gotham Fine Yarn and my boyfriend snapped this pic of the storefront while I went in and browsed around.
There was a cute, little table of ladies knitting and chatting and showing off their projects and I fell for this Organic Merino Wool DK from Sublime.
I looked online for a pattern from Sublime and wished I had some of their books or leaflets because I wanted to start something while we watched the Oscars.  I'm usually very bad about testing gauge, but I did a swatch for this Candle Flame Cowl and even though it's written for a bulkier yarn I loved the way it was knitting up.  This yarn is so soft and gentle, it just flows, so I'm going to go with it. 

Tonight my boyfriend was testing some cookie recipes so we got some more side-by-side kitchen time like on Valentine's Day.  While my project grew, the cookies appeared and yes, a few disappeared as well....a nice way to end the day.


16 comments:

milk tea + polkadots said...

oooh, Ranunculus are SO pretty! i didn't know about them until I saw my friend's wedding bouquet.

I like that scarf pattern!

Craftiness NOW said...

thanks, milk tea+polka dots! i hope i can finish the knitting before the spring, but i'm not complaining about this gorgeous day :-)

Unknown said...

aww those flowers are pretty. They look like peonies. and I will definitely book mark that cowl pattern and try it in the future.

Craftiness NOW said...

hi, N, thanks so much! the ranunculus are doing pretty well for day 2 and i LOVE peonies too. i recently heard there are also peony tulips, so i have to find those someday. definitely try the cowl, it's easy and fun, i really like knitting lacy patterns :-)

jozen said...

that yarn is to DIE for!! I took some knitting lessons, but started to teach myself crochet and I actually prefer it.

Craftiness NOW said...

hi there, jozen! thanks for following my blog, i'm following yours too, love your style and the great recommendations for other blogs too :-)

this yarn is GORGEOUS, very nice to knit with, and i love crochet too, i feel like it moves faster.

ricebabies said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the comments on my blog, yours is pretty too. I'm following. I dont knit, but I can bake a mean cookie.Yours looks d-lish.

Craftiness NOW said...

hi ricebabies, thanks for commenting and following! i can't take credit for the cookies tho, my boyfriend was baking those, i haven't baked in a while, but should try again sometime :-) I'll check your blog for cookies pics!

Noemi said...

Hi Jen! Thanks so much for following my blog and entering my paper fortune cookie giveaway! I'm now following you :)

Craftiness NOW said...

thanks, Noemi! i'm looking forward to seeing more of your work :-)

trishie said...

the flowers are very pretty, Jen. I also love the colour of the yarn you picked, i can't wait to see the finished product.

Craftiness NOW said...

hi trishie! thanks so much, i might do a lot of knitting this weekend, it's gonna be pretty rainy.

Unknown said...

I love those ranunculus!! Those and peonies are my favorite! Gosh, I wish I knew how to knit. There's so many things I'd love to make. That's great that you do that.

Craftiness NOW said...

hi amy, welcome! i just started following your blog too, love it. it's so cool that you and myra are sisters, you're both INCREDIBLY talented! looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful creations :-)

erica said...

wow how beautiful! This entry just made it feel so much like spring!

Craftiness NOW said...

thanks, Fashion Meets Food! it sorta feels like a long time ago even tho it was just monday b/c it's a torrential rain storm in nyc today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...